[mythtv-users] Hardware list for new mythtv box

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu May 23 11:43:12 UTC 2013

On 23/05/13 12:11, LAUKENS Niels wrote:
> So here is my hardware list:
> * CPU: Intel® Core i3-3220T
> * MoBo: ASRock H77 Pro4-M
> * RAM: 2x Corsair 2 GB DDR3-1333
> * GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N610SL-1GI
> * Case: SilverStone GD02-B
> * PSU: be quiet! Straight PowerE9 400W
> * HDD: Western Digital Green WD20EZRX 2 TB
> * TBS6280 PCI-E DVB-T2/T Dual Tuner Card
> * TBS6991 DVB-S2 Dual Tuner Dual CI PCIe Card
> or TBS6985 PCIe DVB-S2 Quad Tuner Satellite TV

RAM is cheap at the moment. Buy as much as you can afford, up to the maximum the
board can accept. You'll make use of it and it will allow you to do things much
quicker than if the software has to write to disk all the time.

I notice you haven't mentioned disk drives. You'll need at least two, a smallish
system/database disk and one or more larger disks to keep your recordings on. I
wouldn't bother with RAID, since "it's only TV".

Remember also that the noise of the disk drives can be a factor in your overall
quest for a quiet system. That is one major reason why many of us opt for split
systems, a quiet diskless or simple front-end and a big back-end somewhere else
in the house full of disks and fans.

Oh, and think to go wired, not wireless for any connections you need.

--

Mike Perkins