[mythtv-users] manual recording rule not obeying day

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed May 22 15:57:19 UTC 2013

On 05/21/2013 04:06 PM, Tim Draper wrote:
> I have a manual recording rule setup for "British Touring Car
> Championship", as a title search. However, there is also a rerun of it
> 3-4 days later.
> The manual recording rule is also set to find the recording on Sundays
> only, which does not seem to be working.
> In short, mythtv is recording both shows; the 7hour live Sunday race,
> and the 2h edited race mid-week.
>
> the BE is on 0.26-fixes (gb02d25a).
>
> any ideas on how i can get this resolved?

OK, I'm guessing that there's a terminology problem in here.  A manual
recording is a recording where you specify exact start and end time and
it completely ignores all listings data.  If you're using a title search
to find the showing, you're using listings.  So, you seem to be using a
Search rule.

I'm guessing you set up the rule incorrectly using a "find weekly"
rule.  A "find weekly" doesn't say to find it on the same day each
week--it simply says to find one episode at any time on any day in a
week-long window from the time in the recording rule.  So, if you set it
on Sunday, it may record the Thursday showing and it's satisfied the
requirements.

Instead, you should create a record all rule and either just let MythTV
record both (and delete the one you don't want) or explicitly override
the recording of the showings you don't want (by setting the showing's
to "Don't record").

Alternatively, you could create a more-exact rule using a "pure"
custom/power rule.  Specifically, using the following example clauses
you'll find in the custom rule editor:

Match an exact title
and
Anytime on a specific day of the week
and/or
Only in prime time
(though you can modify the specific time range)

Mike