[mythtv-users] Should Videos be considered Recorded?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon May 20 03:24:36 UTC 2013

On 05/19/2013 10:17 PM, Frank Feuerbacher wrote:
> I have pointed  my mythtv Videos to my XBMC movies in the hope that I
> could easily see what movies I have already recorded in the mythweb
> movie listings. But, this does not appear to be the case. Can someone
> confirm this? Is there a way to accomplish what I am after?
>
> I can see the XBMC movies in mythtv. I initiated a scan of them to get
> the metadata. I saw the metadata for some files, but had to manually
> initiate fetching for individual movies with the keyboard shortcut "w"
> (perhaps I did not wait long enough for the scan to occur). Anyway, I
> can confirm that the movie "You Can't Take it With You" has it's
> metadata downloaded into Mythtv, but Mythtweb does not indicate that
> it has already been recorded when I look at the TCM schedule.

Unfortunately the metadata you get for your movies is different from the
program listings data you get for TV, so it's very difficult to match up
videos with broadcast movies in anything more than a naive title (and
possibly subtitle) type comparison.  Even with TV recording history, we
re-record episodes because of similarly non-exact matches.  This,
however, has the advantage that you end up recording something you don't
need, after which you can delete it without watching (and get an exact
match for future airings that have similarly broken program data).

So, the best you can do is tell MythTV you already recorded those
movies.  The simplest way to do so is to find the movies in the Upcoming
Recordings page of MythWeb and click on "Never record."  That puts the
movie into MythTV's recording history--complete with its unique program
identifier--and tells it not to record, as if you had recorded the episode.

Mike