[mythtv-users] SPDIF sound drop outs

John Nissley jnissley at nissley.org
Fri May 17 12:17:27 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-14 at 13:07 -0500, John Nissley wrote:

> I am running Fedora 18 with the latest trunk version as of yesterday and
> started noticing audio drop outs on my main frontend backend combo
> server a few days ago.

Just a data point: I run F18 also. I'm using the rpmfusion packages and
I haven't updated for a while (don't want to touch the system until the
Stanley Cup Playoffs are over). My SPDIF sound has worked fine. It may
depend on what sound card you have.

The sound is totally not working now so I have moved to the analog output.
I am running Fedora 18 and I have been running this configuration for a few
months without issue.  The only thing I know I did was update Fedora to the
latest files.  I tried to go back to a previous kernel version but that did
not help.  I am assuming this is hardware or operating system related but
I just wanted to ask the list if there are any known issues in myth before I
go through the troubleshooting tasks too deeply.  I only use this computer
for mythtv so I will need to remove it from it's location to test if sound
works with anything other than mythtv.  My analog sound ouptut works fine and
it is just the SPDIF that is not working.  Maybe it is time to get off of the
internal NVIDIA GF108 audio and pick up a sound blaster card or something.