[mythtv-users] Ceton infiniTV 6 tuner devices announced(PCIeand Ethernet)

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Tue May 14 18:24:01 UTC 2013

From: Gabe Rubin
Sent: Tuesday, May 14, 2013 2:07 PM

> Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net> wrote:
>> What does that mean for devices iin other rooms, unless theya re all
>> windows as well then you cant "watch"/view the content that's been
>> recorded on my media server via cablecard?
>
> Having a windows computer will probably do zero for getting the content
> into myth.

If the channels are marked "copy freely", then MythTV or any other client
will be able to record the content from a cablecard tuner. if the channels
are marked for copy protection ("copy once", "copy never"), then the
cablecard tuner will restrict access to the content to only those clients
that can authenticate as something verified to uphold the restrictions of
the DRM. In practice, this means Windows Media Center, and only Windows
Media Center, as that is the only client application that has spent the
money developing the necessary protection measures, and getting licensed
by Cable Labs.

For any copy protected content, even having another Windows Media Center
machine will not allow you to access the content in another room. The only
way to access DRM protected content in another room through WMC is to
either physically run audio/video cables to both rooms, or to get a Media
Center Extender, such as an Xbox 360. Last I checked, WMC installations
were completely independent, and one was not permitted to operate as an
extender for another.

>> Thanks in advance for your answers from someone who has the actual
>> advice as this is NOT what ceton said on their facebook page.

You can't really fault Ceton for that, as the vastly overwhelming majority
of people looking to a Facebook page for technical support don't even know
what Linux is, much less care to understand the implications of modern
digital rights management in regards to open source software.