[mythtv-users] LIRC on Fedora 18 (I realise slightly off list topic)

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Mon May 13 07:22:54 UTC 2013

On Sun, 12 May 2013 22:16:25 +0100, you wrote:

>On 12 May 2013 20:31, mythtv . <mythtv at harley-jones.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 12 May 2013, at 20:16, Another Sillyname <anothersname at googlemail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Guys
>>
>> I'm just doing my new test build to replace my system in the lounge
>> and Fedora 18 (MATE desktop) has made substantial changes to both lirc
>> and xorg intercepting ir remotes.
>>
>> I've worked out how to disable xorg getting the remote inputs by:--
>>
>> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mce_usb.conf
>>
>> Section "InputClass"
>> Identifier "Ignore MCE_USB as Keyboard input"
>> MatchProduct "IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver"
>> MatchIsKeyboard "true"
>> Option "Ignore" "true"
>> EndSection
>>
>> --------------------------------------
>>
>> Your MatchProduct name may be different, see xinput to identify the
>> correct name.
>>
>> -------------------------------------
>>
>> I have also correctly identified that my input is event5 by
>>
>> cat /proc/bus/input/devices
>>
>> : Bus=0003 Vendor=2040 Product=9580 Version=0001
>> N: Name="IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver"
>> P: Phys=usb-0000:02:03.0-1/ir0
>> S:
>> Sysfs=/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:11.0/0000:02:03.0/usb1/1-1/rc/rc0/input5
>> U: Uniq=
>> H: Handlers=kbd event5
>> B: PROP=0
>> B: EV=100013
>> B: KEY=14afc336 284284d00000000 0 480058000 219040000801
>> 9e96c000000000 90020000000ffc
>> B: MSC=10

>> However after reading contradictory information spread over a number
>> of webpages I'm not now sure what the current correct/working
>> structure is for.....
>>
>> /etc/lirc/hardware.conf
>> /etc/lirc/lircd.conf
>> /etc/lirc/lircmd.conf
>>
>> or even if all three files are still needed
>>
>> Could anyone using Fedora 18 possibly post their working lirc
>> configuration please, I'd be very grateful as I've spent all afternoon
>> on this and frankly there's just too much contradictory information
>> out there and as a consequence I THINK MY HEAD IS GOING TO EXPLODE.
>>
>> Thank You.
>>

>> I use mythbuntu not fedora but I have detailed my setup along with my config
>> files on my webpage here:
>>
>> http://www.harley-jones.co.uk/?p=41#comment-7
>>
>> I don't use lircmd.conf. Ignore my irexec. That is because I map a button on
>> my remote to a script to switch between xbmc and mythtv
>>
>> Hope that is some help!
>>
>> I seem to remember I had problems that all came down to paths but all my
>> config files and their paths are on my webpage. I think from memory it was
>> the remote socket path in hardware.conf that gave me grief
>>
>> Martin

>Thanks Martin
>
>I had a look at your configs and still no go.......
>
>I even tried......

> [...]

I also use Mythbuntu, and had loads of problems getting my IR working
again when I upgraded.  But then I found this page:

 http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/Architecture_and_Customization

It is not for Fedora, but it details how it all works and what tools
to use to debug everything at all stages of IR processing.  With that
help, I got everything working again.

Your problems are likely caused by the moving of IR drivers into the
kernel, so you will need to test at a lower level than IRW and lirc
first, using "ir-keytable -t" as on that page.  Only when you have all
that working will lirc have a chance of working correctly.