[mythtv-users] upgrading from .25 to .26

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri May 10 17:09:28 UTC 2013

On 05/10/2013 12:15 PM, Bill Meek wrote:
> On 05/10/2013 10:34 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 05/10/2013 11:05 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>>> A tip. I discovered, when I migrated from Mandriva to Debian, that
>>> ssh -Y didn't work, because the .xauth credentials weren't being
>>> carried
>>> over properly when you su'd on the target box.
>>>
>>> The way round this is to use sux (yes, really) instead of su. This
>>> sometimes complains but allows full use of X tunneling. sux is
>>> available
>>> from apt.
>>>

>> I usually do:  ssh -l mythtv -Y <hostname> mythtv-setup
>>
>> Do most distros disable login for the mythtv user or would that work?
>
> Survey of 1: smolt says 87.2% of its contributors are ubuntu.
>
> Just tried the -l mythtv on a 12.04 ubuntu host and it fails. Looking at
> /etc/shadow, the only user with a password is my own.
>
> However, my (0.27pre) config.xml is an exact copy of mythtv's, so it
> works OK. I believe 'normal' Mythbuntu users have links to a single
> copy in /etc/mythtv.
>
> I think the bigger point is that the OP created a 30,000' view of
> the process and people using it will need to get the details of
> each step for their distribution.

The main problem with running mythtv-setup as a user other than the one
that runs mythbackend is that some files get written with wrong
permissions and/or the user doesn't have access to the Storage Group
directories and users get warnings (that confuse them).

Showing people how to properly use xauth (or even set XAUTHORITY--which
shouldn't work, anyway, due to home directory permissions) isn't
something I want to try to do in a "simple" upgrade instruction.  And we
shouldn't recommend using something awful like xhost +.  Perhaps sux is
the best thing to recommend.

Mike