[mythtv-users] Unlocking Technologies Act

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu May 9 20:56:48 UTC 2013

On 13-05-09 04:48 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:

> The only way to "preserve long links" is to send the email as HTML, (which
> they were), which leaves it up to the email client to handle it properly.
> Otherwise, plain text email is hard limited to 79 characters.

Untrue.  That is just "convention".  I think everyone understands a
general exemption from the plain-text wrapping rule for content that
really should not be wrapped, like URLs and terse log output, etc.

As a matter of rule, I always turn off the automatic line wrapping in
thunderbird when I want to post long lines of "verbatim" text (i.e. log
snippets, stack traces, etc.) and URLs and manually wrap the
conversational text in the message.  IMHO, that achieves the best of
both worlds of making the reading text still readable and the other text
still understandable.

> In any case, the gist of the bill is to castrate the DMCA anti-circumvention
> clause, and make it only illegal if the intent of circumvention is to allow
> illegal redistribution of the protected content.

Ahhh.  Good and interesting news.  It seems now that the US has
succeeded in shoving their DMCA down Canadians' throats[1], they are
going to leave it strangling us Canadians and relax it for their own
citizens.  How very nice.

b.

[1] Yes, the Canadian DMCA which the US lobbied long and hard for is
    actually more restrictive in Canada than it is in the US.