[mythtv-users] Scheduler seems to think I am recording too many programs at once

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Thu May 2 04:56:57 UTC 2013

I was just checking the scheduling for the new EPG received today, and
I found that one program "Seven Sharp" was not recording at its usual
time of 19:00 on TV ONE, but instead was recording at 20:00 from the
TVONE PLUS1 channel which retransmits TV ONE an hour later, but in SD
instead of HD.  I have occasionally seen this sort of thing happen
before, always when I am recording lots of programs at the same time.
It has always seemed to me that the scheduler must have some limit for
the number of programs it will record at one time and when it goes
over that limit, it tries to reschedule one or more of them.  If I add
an override to force "Seven Sharp" to record from TV ONE at 19:00, the
scheduler is happy to do that and does not seem to make any other
changes.

Here is the schedule for that time period, without the override:
[Time]       [Callsign]-[Program name]
17:30:18:30  DISCO - Mythbusters
18:00-19:03  TV ONE - One News At 6pm
18:00-19:03  TV3 - 3 News
18:30-19:03  ChoiceTV - Bath Crashers
19:00-19:33  TV ONE - Seven Sharp  (yellow, "Find Daily -3 Later
Showing")
19:00-19:33  TV ONE-S - Seven Sharp (yellow, "Find Daily -7 Later
Showing")
19:00-19:33  TV3 - Campbell Live
19:30-19:33  TV2 - Police Ten 7
19:30-20:30  HISCH - Mysteries At The Museum (yellow, "Channel Record
+0 Later Showing")
19:30-20:30  KNOWLGE - Who Do You Think You Are? Aus
19:30-20:33  PRIME - Great Rift: Africas Wild
19:30-20:33  TV3 - Grand Designs Revisited
20:00-20:30  CRIME& - Traffic Blues (yellow "Channel Record +0 Later
Showing")
20:00-20:33  TV2 - RBT
20:00-20:33  TVONE PLUS1 - Seven Sharp
20:29-21:33  TV3 - Bones

In the above, TV ONE, TV2 and TVONE PLUS1 are transmitted on the same
DVB-T multiplex, PRIME and ChoiceTV are on the same DVB-T mux, and TV3
is on the third DVB-T mux.  TV ONE-S is an SD version of TV ONE on a
DVB-S mux.  The other channels are all on Sky TV which is recorded
from a set top box via one S-Video card (so there is only one tuner
for those channels).  The three DVB-T muxes are on one source, the
DVB-S muxes on another source, and Sky TV is on the third source.  All
the DVB-T and DVB-S tuners are set up with 4 multirec virtual tuners
each, and I have 3 DVB-T tuners and 2 DVB-S ones.  Since I have as
many DVB-T tuners as there are DVB-T muxes being transmitted, I should
never have to use the TVONE PLUS1 channel at all as I should always
have enough tuners to record everything I need on the first showing.

So, does anyone know if there is some sort of limit in the scheduler
on the number of programs that will record at any one time?  And if
so, what it is and how it works?  Is there a setting I can adjust for
it?

I have 5 recording drives, so whatever is causing this sort of
rescheduling is not taking that into account, as I can easily record
at least 10 programs simultaneously, and probably more, as long as the
recordings use all the drives (and they normally do).

Also, is there a way to mark the TVONE PLUS1 channel as SD and the TV
ONE channel as HD and tell the scheduler to always record the HD
programming unless there is an actual clash?