[mythtv-users] Comcast Basic Cable Encryption

Ben Kamen bkamen at benjammin.net
Thu Jun 27 18:59:12 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-27 1:22 PM, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
> Can anybody tell me, when Comcast starts with the basic cable
> encryption, are they conforming with the law? The FCC rule stated that
> they have to give 30 days notice and also have to give a free cable card
> or set top box for 1 year to anybody who was using clear QAM.
>
> There is no over the air signal here. The nearest transmitters are over
> 50 miles away.
>
> I shall have to get a HD Homerun Prime or Ceton, but I am not ordering
> it yet, in case Comcast takes years to get around to my area.
>
> Any advice on which to get? These devices are available in USB,
> Ethernet, and PCI Express. I do not have a free PCI Express socket
> unless I switch computers around. USB cables are easily pulled out.
> Ethernet means I have to make sure my router is always working, but
> maybe give the advantage that you can access it from other systems. The
> Ceton web page says they do not support linux but they supply drivers
> anyway. The HDHR web site claims to support mythtv. So I am wondering
> which device and connection method is most reliable. Also of course
> there is the new Ceton 6 Ethernet that nobody has tested yet.

Hi Peter,  I just did this...

Comcast can send you the CableCard (I have an HDHR Prime) -- if you just signed up on the list,
look for my thread just starting yesterday on this with the
subject: "ComCast OTA Encryption w/HDHR-Prime CC"

Getting the cablecard initialized was pretty easy - there's a thread on SiliconDust's website as well as ComCast's.

There's in a toll free number to call which is WAY better than dealing with the normal website number.

See:

  http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewforum.php?f=44
  http://forums.comcast.com/t5/XfinityTV-and-Equipment/CableCard-Activation-with-HDHomeRun-Prime-and-MythTV/td-p/1083323
  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Silicondust_HDHomeRun_Prime