[mythtv-users] ComCast OTA Encryption w/HDHR-Prime CC

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Thu Jun 27 16:41:23 UTC 2013

On 6/27/2013 12:02 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 2013-06-27 5:48 AM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 6/26/2013 9:22 PM, Ben Kamen wrote:
>>> including the number of streams to decode which was 5?
>>
>> Well there's at least one problem.  CableCard tuners operating in
>> CableCard mode do not support multirec.
>
> that's one of the things that puzzles me though.
>
> If I use the SiliconDust setup application and KEEP the tuners in
> Digital cable mode,
> I can still tune my old list of channels (as scanned by scte56) and
> the tuner tunes them in fine.
> (can't say for the multiplex since that app doesn't do it)
>
> Only when I try this on Myth do I get the backend error that talks
> about the unknown tuner mode.
>
> When I'm watching with the HDHR setup program and then go look at the
> HDHR web interface,
> the tuner shows "authorized" -- so it's working on the old QAM
> channels just fine.
>
> It "feels" like I should still be able to tune the old channel list
> (which has local HD content)
> instead of using the downloaded list from ScheduleDirect which seems
> to only include the SD channels.

When you tune using a traditional digital tuner, you need to know the
physical channel, and the program ID within the data stream carried by
that channel.  When you tune using a CableCard tuner, you use the cable
company's virtual channel mapping, send the virtual channel you want to
the tuner, and it handles knowing what physical channel and program ID
to send back to you.  From MythTV's perspective, CableCard tuners behave
like an old analog tuner, since there is only one number to know.