[mythtv-users] Mythbackend does not bind to IP addresses of interfaces without carrier

Florian Evers florian-evers at gmx.de
Wed Jun 26 12:00:48 UTC 2013

Hi Raymond,

Am Dienstag, 25. Juni 2013, 18:13:19 schrieb Raymond Wagner:
> On 6/24/2013 3:26 PM, Florian Evers wrote:
> > eth0: 192.168.0.2/24: Connection to the DSL modem
> > eth1, eth2, eth3: bridged to br0: 192.168.1.1/24, LAN
>
> Is this actually a PC, or a hacked wireless router?

It is a PC with e1000e ethernet ports. It runs Gentoo Linux amd64.

> > This problem occurs if a bridge is used whose involved interfaces show
> > "NO-
> > CARRIER"... then the bridge shows NO-CARRIER as well, and mythbackend
> > fails to bind to its IP address. For individual ethernet ports this is
> > true as well, as they show NO-CARRIER either.
>
> Most network cards will remain active by default, running on standby
> power, even when the system is otherwise shut down.  Have you
> intentionally disabled this, or otherwise physically cut power to this
> system?

I cut the power to my workstation PC totally using the switch at the
electrical socket. Thus, the interface seems to be "open"...

... however, even if I take an unused ethernet port, activate it using
ifconfig, and assign an IP address to it, why does mythbackend refuse to bind
to this IP address?

Regards,
Florian