[mythtv-users] Help getting SPDIF optical out to work

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 04:04:35 UTC 2013

On 18 June 2013 12:43, John Nissley <jnissley at nissley.org> wrote:
>> card 1: ICE1724 [ICEnsemble ICE1724], device 1: ICE1724 IEC958 [ICE1724

> I did try what you mentioned prior to sending the email but if I did not
> tell you that than how would you know.  I forgot to mention that the HDMI
> output does work but I have the HDMI going to my TV for video and I really
> want the digital sound going to my stereo. I am using the DVI output on
> my motherboard with a DVI to HDMI converter to get the video into the TV.
> I was really hoping to force the audio out of the digital SPDIF out on my
> motherboard.  I even purchased another sound card just to rule out any
> hardware malfunction and still nothing. I even placed some recommended
> lines in my /etc/asound.conf file which I never needed before but I
> figured I had nothing to loose.  I think I just need to find a way to
> force the sound out of the port I want instead of letting linux decide
> the one I want.

did you run alsamixer and toggle the mute button on and off ? unless
you do that, the output is muted by default for some reasons.

BTW, if your motherboard has both HDMI and DVI output, usually, you
can get audio from the DVI output too as it pass exactly the same
signal as the hdmi port, only the physical connector is different.

you don't need to modify /etc/asound.conf