[mythtv-users] ?Card?

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Jun 17 20:51:49 UTC 2013

Please do not top post.  Either post in the middle of the previous post,
directly below a specific comment, or post at the bottom.  Bottom
posting is convention on this mailing list, and repeatedly flipping
between bottom and top posting is just making this thread a mess.

On 6/17/2013 4:35 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:
> I've read the guide telling to select ASTC in the back end under
> capture cards, but as I toggle through get everything but ASTC, it was
> under NSTC that I found the PCIe tuner.

What guide is this?  (nearly) All digital fall under the "DVB" card type
in mythtv-setup.  There is no "ATSC" type.  The only place I can think
that ATSC might show up is in some frequency table when performing a
channel scan.

> " Check for entries in /dev/dvb," Is this another terminal sudo command?

"sudo" is just a mechanism to selectively allow certain users to run
certain processes with enhanced privileges.  Setuid use combined with
group manipulation can provide the same ability, but "sudo" provides a
bit more security since it requires a password, and offers logging.
Certain distros disable the root account and force all privilege
escalation to occur through "sudo" for... reasons I don't really understand.

When you want to check for entries in some directory, you want to use
"ls".  You would only need to use "sudo" in combination with "ls" if
your current user did not have permissions to access that directory,
however it will likely at least be world readable.  The "video" group
should have full rights over that directory and its contents, and the
"mythtv" user should be in that group.

> Apparently I have yet another conquest in Mythtv, because I have been
> planning to use 3 sources, digital cable currently on the PCIe card
> HDSD OTA hopefully on the kWorld, and analog cable (scrambled channels
> from a STB) on a new HP card coming on a slow boat as we speak.

Your cable provider still uses scrambled analog channels?  I would have
thought everyone looking for conditional access at this point would have
switched those channels to digital.  If you want to do analog capture,
you really want to be using a hardware encoder, which for the most part
means some Hauppauge product.  If I remember correctly, most of HP's
rebranded tuners came with some funky custom rear bracket, and could not
be mounted securely to the back of a standard ATX slot.