[mythtv-users] ?Card?

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Mon Jun 17 01:37:53 UTC 2013

On 2013-06-16, at 4:22 PM, Daryl McDonald wrote:

> So any of the previously mentioned VBI devices can't be the PC150-U, therefore "failed to open" does not mean that the system detected something, rather that there was nothing there to open? is that right?

Failed to open on a video device typically means you’re running mythsetup while the backend is running and the backend has an exclusive lock on the device so setup can’t probe it. In any case, no atsc tuner will have a vbi device, that’s an artifact of ntsc tuners. ATSC device drivers create entries under /dev/dvb. Check under there, how many atsc tuners are assigned in myth, how many are under /dev/dvb, if you have more devices than myth assigned tuners then you’re in luck. Else, not.

Even before you muck about in myth you should check that linux sees the card at all. Any mention of kworld in /var/log/messages? Do an lspci and grep for Multimedia. Compare the output to the component list at http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/KWorld_PC150-U. See any similarities? No means linux doesn’t know about your card. In my case lspci shows a multimedia device with a Conexant CX23418 and the linuxtv page mentions that hvr 1600s have a “Conexant CX23418 A/V Decoder, MPEG-2 Encoder & PCI bridge”. No matchy = no lucky.

- George