[mythtv-users] Raspberry PI as backend slave or tvheadend

John Morris jmorris at beau.org
Wed Jun 12 20:30:12 UTC 2013

On Tue, 2013-06-11 at 20:20 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 8:05 PM, John Morris <jmorris at beau.org> wrote:
> > How about this idea.
>
> For safety (both of the humans, and of the residence),
> you need to provide appropriate lightning protection
> for mast mounted devices.  I'm just saying....

Of course.  Kinda goes without saying that an appropriate lightning
arrestor will be inserted between the antenna and the tuner up on the
pole.  Every antenna and book on such hammers that message hard enough I
didn't really see a need to repeat it.  And something at the bottom
wouldn't be a bad idea either.  Lots of options for ethernet protection
though, and you should be using it on any long run.  I'd probably opt
for a power bar with an ethernet passthrough so I could cover the power
brick and the lead coming out from the power injector heading toward the
main switch.  The good thing is a lighting arrestor on ethernet doesn't
degrade signal quality.  (ok, it does but in the digital realm you
either have enough signal or you don't and a surge protector won't put
you across that line.)