[mythtv-users] Lost recordings - visible via UPnP client but not mythweb/mythtv frontend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jun 11 14:21:42 UTC 2013

On 06/11/2013 09:23 AM, adrinux wrote:
> On Wednesday, June 5, 2013, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Perhaps they're in the Deleted recording group?  See
>> and try the Deleted recording group filter.
>>
> Ah, you are right. Back end status showed just over 3Gigs in the deleted
> group. Then I realised mythweb let you actually view that group in its
> listing and - feeling like a bit of an idiot - was able to delete them from
> there. Thanks.
>
> I don't do anything other than default with recording groups, and usually
> delete via mythweb...how do recordings end up in deleted recordings?

It's used as a sort of "Recycle Bin" for recordings--allowing you to
undo a delete in the event you later decide you want to keep the
recording or if it was accidentally deleted.  It also allows you to
delete a recording at any time you decide--even if it's in use by some
other process (such as preview generation or commercial flagging or ...)
without causing problems/inconsistencies--in other words, it serves as a
way of implementing a delete queue so that the actual removal of the
file and metadata can be performed when the recording is not in use.

There's a setting in frontend General settings that allows you to
specify how long after deletion to the Deleted recording group MythTV
should wait before removing the file and metadata.

Mike