[mythtv-users] Heh - will be nice to have such FE - isn't?

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Tue Jun 11 14:00:40 UTC 2013

>  This device is actually very good.
>>> The API for h264/mpeg decode is the v4l2 API in linux. It looks like
>>> Samsung
>>> supplied patches and drove some of the changes for v4l2.
>>> Theres a git repo
>>> http://git.infradead.org/**users/kmpark/public-apps/tree/**
>>> HEAD:/v4l2-mfc-example<http://git.infradead.org/users/kmpark/public-apps/tree/HEAD:/v4l2-mfc-example>
>>> that provides a sample program showing how to use the v4l2 api for
>>> decoding!
>>>
>>> If this was build in to MythTV then I think it would make a very nice
>>> frontend.
>>> Of course you'd have to consider the deinterlacing, but a quad core
>>> 1.7GHz should be
>>> capable, right.
>>>

>> Quad core ARM?  Umm... not likely.  ARM != i7
>>

> For deinterlacing? the decode will be HW accelerated.

Depends upon the deinterlacing used. Assuming that you can use the CPU to
deinterlace a GPU decoded video (not sure it it will even let you do that),
you would have a range of deinterlacers to choose from.

Simple deinterlacers like One Field, or Bob, use minimal CPU... they do
little processing of the frames.  Advanced deinterlacers actually detect
motion in the frames and manipulate the fields to make each frame appear as
close to complete as possible.  The motion detection, and manipulation of
the feilds can be VERY cpu intensive when your deinterlacing HD video in
realtime.