[mythtv-users] recordinng profile based on channel

Larry Roberts mythtv at american-hero.com
Wed Jul 31 17:17:57 UTC 2013

On 7/31/2013 12:13 PM, Daniel Frey wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 12:09 PM, Larry Roberts
> <mythtv at american-hero.com <mailto:mythtv at american-hero.com>> wrote:
>
>     hello Again,
>
>     Now that I have successfully migrated from a PVR-350 to HDHomeRun
>     and added in some HD channels I want to make sure that I'm
>     transcoding them properly.
>
>     What I would like to do if possible is setup a rule that says "if
>     recorded on a HD channel then do a HD transcode, otherwise do a
>     standard transcode".
>
>     I realize I have two issues, first is how do I setup the system to
>     prefer HD over none HD, second is how do I autoselect the
>     transcode method.
>
>     I'm curious what others do to handle this situation.
>
>     My thoughts are that the HD version of my channel should have all
>     the same shows as the SD version so I could just set the sytem to
>     record on the HD channel and set it to do HD transcode but I dont
>     know if they are always the same shows.
>
>     Love to hear how people handle this.  I'm just now starting to
>     dive into the HD recording portion to make sure I have that all
>     squared away so would love to hear any pointers or thoughts on
>     this as well.
>
>     As a side note, the setup of mythtv and HDHR was SOOOOOO much
>     easier than my old PVR-350 box with IRblasters and such.  I just
>     keep thinking something must be missing as it cant be this easy.
>
>     Thanks
>
>     Larry
>

> Larry,
>
> Are you just watching these recordings then deleting them?  If so,
> then I would bypass auto-transcoding all together. It is an extra
> unneeded step you are placing on your backend.
>
> Dan
>
> --
> My Google Profile <http://www.google.com/profiles/dmfrey>

So I may be mistaking what is actually going on.  yes I do normally just
watch and then delete them.  For a select few I have a separate
auto-transcode job that converts the files to a more common name and
also makes them "roku" compatible.  If also moves them to a directory
that Roku can watch.  I think I have the ffmpeg setup converted
correctly for that piece so now I just want to make sure I have the HD
being recorded/transcoded/saved (or whatever the proper term may be) to
the best they can be for watching via the web/frontend.  I may be
bringing in knowledge artifacts from my PVR-350 days when you could tell
what quality to save.  Its the old I dont know what I dont know so I'm
trying to think of all the things I could need to change going from SD
to HD.