[mythtv-users] Experiences using MythTV with Epson Projector EH-TW6100 and 3D

Paul Netherwood pnetherwood at email.com
Wed Jul 31 10:41:19 UTC 2013

I just thought I'd share some experiences using the Epson EH-TW6100 projector. Overall I'm pretty happy and it works well with MythTV. I'm also using it an Okyo TX-NR-414 AV Receiver for the 5.1 surround sound. My MythTV frontend is an Acer Revo R3700 which has an ION2 chipset. I'm running MythTV 0.25 on Mythbuntu with Ubuntu 12.04 with a seperate backend. The Revo is connected to the Onkyo and then the Onkyo to the Epson, all with HDMI. MythTV is setup to use VDPAU.

Setup:
When connected to the Onkyo, X Windows reads the EDID from the Onkyo rather than the Epson resulting in very poor display. This is because X is reading the display capabilities of the Onkyo rather than the projector. The solution is to connect the Revo direct to the projector and use nvidia-settings to read and save the EDID then hange your xorg.conf to use this custom EDID. However, BEFORE you do this you need to setup the 5.1 sound in MythTV settings while you are connected to the Receiver. Otherwise MythTV will see the sound capabilities of the Epson which is just stereo. So you need to:
1. Connect to receiver via HDMI
2. Configure 5.1 sound in MythTV
3. Connect Revo direct to projector with HDMI
4. Save EDID using nvidia-settings
5. Change xorg.conf to use custom EDID

Another solution is to use a custom modelline in xorg.conf but I think the custom EDID solution is easier and neater.

I'm running at maximum resolution on the Revo which produces a 1080p picture on the projector. The result is amazing with HD sources with great clarity and contrast. The bluerays I have ripped look fantastic.

3D:
I didn't have to do anything to MythTV to get 3D to work. Using a side-by-side blueray rip that I had you have to tell the projector that its 3D. On the Epson projector remote you have to press the "2D/3D" button and then the "3D Format" button and select "side-by-side". I think the effect of 3D is more stunning on a large screen because it fills more of your periperal vision.
MythTV menus are broken in 3D for VDPAU (although they are supposed to work for OpenGL and VDPAU is on its way http://code.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/18976c4b137aeeb264e2857ddc4851eef530024e/mythtv ).

HDMI Cable Woes:
I did have problems getting my setup to work initially with the screen blanking periodically or sometime not displaying at all. It turned out to be the 8m HDMI cable I was using. Beware, as soon as you go over a few meters HDMI cable quality becomes important particularly if you're going via an AV Receiver. If you're having display problems particulalry at higher resolutions and you are using a long HDMI cable (say > 5m), test with a short cable to isolate if the problem lies in the cable. I spent far to long messing about with my xorg.conf before realising my cable was at fault.

Hope this helps someone.