[mythtv-users] Going Virtual and upgrading tuners

Phill Edwards philledwards at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 03:27:29 UTC 2013

My thought process at a high level.

> install HDHomeRun Prime , cable card and get it activated.
> Install new VM with latest CENTOS (6.4) distro.  update and patch to
> latest.
> Install mythtv , configure and point it to HDHRP and test setup/recording.
> shutdown new mythtv backend, drop database,backup db from "old" mythtv
> server and import to "new" machine
> re-setup new machine to utilize HDHRP in place of PVR-350
> Enjoy! (or ..profit! for the old /. folks)
>
> anyone see any flaws in my thought process or additional steps?  I'm
> suspecting I will need to tweak my SchedulesDirect feed a bit as well but
> I'm not 100% positive.
>
> Would love any feedback or experiences positve/negative with what I'm
> doing.  In reviewing the archives it seems that Comcast/HDHRP is a pretty
> good option at this point and seems to be stable.

Apologies if this is stating the bleedin' obvious, but you also need a step
to add the NAS into the new VM config. I mention this because if you try to
add disk as a storage repository it will trash the contents of the disk (on
VMware anyway - you didn't mention which hypervisor you're going to use). I
guess if it's an external NAS shared over NFS then you'll be OK, but
thought I should point it out just in case.

BTW - HDHR works really well in this setup. I run Mythbackend on a VMware
Ubuntu 12.04 VM with a HDHR (DVB-T not cable).