[mythtv-users] Tuner Advice Request for new HTPC Build

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 30 16:29:37 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Stephen Worthington
<stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:36:46 +0100, you wrote:

>>If Raymond is right in believing that CI+ uses DRM you probably ought to
>>investigate other sources of programme:
> I have no idea how TV is broadcast in the Netherlands, but if it uses
> a card to decrypt it and it is OK with the broadcasters that you use
> that card in your own tuner rather than use their decoder box, then
> there are some tuners supported in Linux that can do that.  Take a
> look at the products from:

As Raymond said, CI+ is end-to-end DRM (simple CI, the plus
is important, does not do the end-to-end part).  If, indeed, the
provider uses the full capabilities of CI+, MythTV will not be
able to participate.  So, whether MythTV is even a viable
solution one needs to verify whether the provider really requires
CI+.

Gary