[mythtv-users] Tuner Advice Request for new HTPC Build

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Tue Jul 30 10:50:41 UTC 2013

On Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:36:46 +0100, you wrote:

>On 29/07/13 08:35, Mark Rekveld wrote:
>> Oke. Is the recording limitation only for internal cards or also for
>> network tuners like the Anysee N7?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Mark Rekveld
>>

>If Raymond is right in believing that CI+ uses DRM you probably ought to
>investigate other sources of programme:
>
>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/545107#545107
>
>John P

I have no idea how TV is broadcast in the Netherlands, but if it uses
a card to decrypt it and it is OK with the broadcasters that you use
that card in your own tuner rather than use their decoder box, then
there are some tuners supported in Linux that can do that.  Take a
look at the products from:

  http://www.tbsdtv.com/

I believe they have Linux drivers for most of their products (shipped
with the card or downloaded), and some of their tuners have CI card
interfaces builtin.  This one looks like a good option for what you
want (to watch and record at the same time you need at least dual
tuners):

http://www.tbsdtv.com/products/tbs6991-dvb-s2-dual-tuner-dual-ci-pcie-card.html

They have full Linux support and active Linux forums, so I would
suggest checking the forums or emailing them to make sure it can do
what you want.

Once you have support for decoding in the tuner itself, then MythTV
should have no problems recording the decoded output from the tuner.

I am using one of their QBox 5922 DVB-S2 tuners (no CI card interface)
and it works well, but you do have to compile and install their
drivers every time the kernel is updated.  I wrote myself a script to
do that, so all I do is run that after any kernel update then reboot
again.