[mythtv-users] Tuner Advice Request for new HTPC Build

Mark Rekveld markrekveld at marvelution.com
Sun Jul 28 20:46:16 UTC 2013

Hi all,

I'm looking to build my first home entertainment system that will also
double as my home automation server. I was able to find a lot of
information on this forum and was able to get some stuff sorted. But I need
some advice form you experts.

The OS must be Linux bases and free (leaning towards Ubuntu) and the
frontend will be XBMC.
As for the live TV backend I'm looking at MythTV.

I have the following goals for the home entertainment part of the build:

   - Watch live TV in full HD
   - Record life TV in full HD, should still be able to watch on another
   channel
   - Watch DVDs
   - Watch Blue Rays
   - Watch personal movies for network storage
   - Watch photo's
   - Listen to music on disk, CD or cloud (Google Play support would really
   be nice to have.)

I'm on a digital cable network in the Netherlands and require a smart card
(or a smart card in a CI+ module.) to be able to view the digital channels.

The home automation part will consist of an Apache webserver and some Java
processes that will listen for commands from a laptop, table or mobile.

This are the parts I came up with so far:

   - Asus P8Z77-M PRO iZ77, SATA600 RAID, USB3.0 (90-MIBHY0-G0EAY0GZ)
   - Corsair 2x8GB, DDR3, PC12800, CL10, Vengeance (CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10)
   - Intel Core i7 3770S 3.10GHz 8MB Box (BX80637I73770S)
   - OCZ SSD 2.5", 128GB, SATA600, Vertex 4 (VTX4-25SAT3-128G)
   - Logitech keyboard K400 Wireless Touch (920-003117)
   - Streacom Remote control incl. IR Receiver
   - Streacom NanoPSU 150W + Adapter Kit
   - Streacom ST-SC30 Internal USB3.0 cable
   - Streacom ST-OB2 Slimline Blu-Ray Drive
   - Streacom FC9, mATX, Black

As you can see I have no tuner card yet. And this is the main place where I
need your advice.

What TV tuner card should I use? Or should I go for a network tuner?
I have been looking for days now but when I find a card there are no
drivers, and when I find some drivers I'm not sure I can record and watch
two different channels at the same time.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Mark Rekveld