[mythtv-users] Issues Setting up HTTP Live Streaming Recorder

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 06:00:08 UTC 2013

On Sunday, 28 July 2013, Solon Boomer-Jenks wrote:

>  I'm having difficulty getting this setup.
>
> --I followed all the steps outlined in the wiki article. http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Setting_up_HTTP_Live_Streaming_Recorder

If you did... It would work... Unfortunately, that's a fact... No two ways
around it...

> --This resulted in the channels appearing in the program guide, but they appear light blue and I am unable to access them (selecting one will just close the program guide and return me to the last live TV channel).  If I type in the channel number (ie 301), I get the following message: "MythTV is already using all available inputs for the channel you selected. If you want to watch an in-progress recording,
> select one from the playback menu. If you want to watch Live TV, cancel one of the in-progress recordings from the delete menu."  (nothing is recording other than the currently selected OTA live TV station)

There is no program guide or channel information provided if you followed
the steps in the guide above. So there's no point going into the program
guide as there's nothing in it.

The steps required to summarise:
Shut dhow mythbackend
Start mythtv-setup
Create in capture cards an IPTV entry with the URL to the HLS playlist as
mentioned in the guide
Create a Source that does nothing
Assign the capture card to the source, then scan for channels.

Quit mythtv-setup, restart mythbackend

That's it...

> --I accidentally discovered that if I kill the mythbackend daemon and restart it under my own ID  (instead of mythtv), I can access one of these channels (whichever one I pick).  However, if I then select another, it times out.  Thereafter, they all appear in light blue and inaccessible just as above.
>
> Winds like you haven't finish mythtv-setup and created or assigned the
right playback group. You need to set at least a default where the
recordings will be stored. That too is described in the general mythtv
manual.
When you quit mythtv-setup you would have got a message telling you things
aren't completed and asking if you want to quit "if you know what you are
doing"

> --Based on the above discovery, I started playing with permissions.  I granted the mythtv ID access to ~/.mythtv, ~/.mythtv/tmp and ~/.mythtv/tmp/hls.  This made no difference, either when running mythbackend normally under the mythtv ID or under my ID.
>
> Totally irrelevant for the backend,

> I don't have a lot of crazy custom configurations going on here, so I'm at a loss as to what else I could try.  I have not found any relevant log entries.
>
> Has anyone else run into this issue and been able to overcome it?  Any possible suggestions?

Read the available documentation and the how to guide on how to set up
mythtv, create the storage groups and directories.
Then set up the HLS recorder.