[mythtv-users] EPG Accuracy (Was: record at any time on channel <CHANNEL> is missing in master soon to be .27)

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Jul 26 09:30:42 UTC 2013

On 26/07/13 08:21, Simon Hobson wrote:

> Well put ! And I'll add that complaining about something that can't be fixed
> that way is counter productive. All that'll happen is that you'll be labelled
> as the boy who cries "Wolf !" a lot - which means you'll count a lot less
> when you do have something to complain about.
>
> Complaining about EPG data to your elected representatives is, IMO, as useful
> as complaining that your local supermarket uses the wrong colour of floor
> tiles. It's nothing to do with them, and in theory we can just choose a
> different supermarket (supplier). If I don't like the EPG that Dave uses,
> then I can choose not to watch Dave.

That depends /why/ you are complaining to your representative. Is the poor guide
info deliberately so to ensure the user won't switch channels? That could be
described as uncompetitive practices. In the UK we have Unfair Competition laws,
other countries may vary.

EPG data isn't advertising either, any more than a bus, plane or railway
timetable is. It is useless to the consumer unless it is accurate. Making an EPG
that tells you a program starts at 16:00 when it really starts at 16:05 (or
15:55!) may break laws regarding misrepresentation or fraud.

There may also be laws that the broadcaster is obliged to follow in order to
comply with its broadcasting licence. Some of these may even specify standards.

IANAL, consult a lawyer in your jurisdiction, etc, etc.

--

Mike Perkins