[mythtv-users] Chromecast

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 18:37:18 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Chuck Peters <cp at ccil.org> wrote:
> At $35 the new Chromecast [1] could be useful and may prompt us to buy a
> second HDTV.  I have a Nexus 7 and my father has a Nexus 10.  Using the
> MythTV Android Frontend [2] with the Chromecast should work ok, except
> the frontend interface isn't as user friendly (not yet anyway, future?)
> as a mythfrontend and the Nexus 7 doesn't keep up with HDTV recordings
> from our HDHomerun Prime.  I'm curious to know how else these little
> Chromecast devices could be useful for MythTV users, any ideas?

I've still got a lot of reading to do to understand its full
capabilities, but it looks like the Chromecast is primarily designed
to accept a shared URL and display the content. It says it supports
h264 and VP8. The closest technology we have within MythTV is HLS
streaming. A MythTV Android app could use the Chromecast Sender API to
share an HLS stream with the Chromecast.

They don't advertise MPEG2 support, but this would make MythTV support
much more useful (at least with my content).

https://developers.google.com/cast/

Tom