[mythtv-users] Court rules commercial-skipping in recordings covered under Fair Use

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 15:25:23 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jul 25, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> Hehe.  I was just going to say, "which is the whole basis of the Aereo
> case."  The best part of this case, though, is that now Time Warner is
> telling CBS--who wants TWC to pay 6x as much for permission to rebroadcast
> CBS channels--that if CBS doesn't accept TWC's proposed retransmission fee
> and chooses to refuse to allow TWC to retransmit the CBS content, TWC will
> recommend that all its users sign up for Aereo.  Talk about twisting the
> thorn in CBS's side.  :)

If I was CBS, I would tell TWC's customers to sign up for the
Apple/Google/Intel internet TV offerings as soon as the Fed's
decide that TWC's offers to content providers (to not offer
content to those internet firms) violate anti-trust laws and
are prohibited(*).

The next few years are going to be interesting.  The only
group that I can be assured of that will win are the lawyers.

Gary

(*) No, that may not happen, since exclusive content deals
are nothing new, but since those providers already offer
the same content to, essentially, everyone at the same rates,
excluding a new entrant to the field does raise enough
eyebrows to make it suspiciously like an anti-trust violation.

If I was Intel, I would consider purchasing an existing small
independent cable company in the middle of no-where, and
sign up subscribers that *just happen* to be remote.  Aereo
for cable.