[mythtv-users] Court rules commercial-skipping in recordings covered under Fair Use

Gabe Rubin gaberubin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 00:33:34 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 5:30 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> In the end, I would guess that with their next contract, Fox
> will either get some additional up front revenue from Dish
> (to make up for the "lost" commercial revenue), or they
> will require Dish to not automate the skipping by Dish itself
> (requiring the users to do something like press that 30-sec
> skip button that some competitors have).  And Fox will
> have the upper hand, since Dish customers want to be
> able to view the next "Publicity Seeking American" reality
> show in real time.

Unless FOX moves away from broadcast, it cannot dictate the terms on which
it is carried by cable or satellite providers (although FOX did threaten to
do this over this specific issue).  However, FOX could play hardball with
its other offerings, which are fairly popular and varied (FOX News, FX,
etc).