[mythtv-users] Court rules commercial-skipping in recordings covered under Fair Use

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Thu Jul 25 00:30:19 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 8:28 PM, Matt Emmott <memmott at gmail.com> wrote:
> Pretty awesome news, I hope this sets a precedent.

This was about the preliminary injunction.  Fox was right
(in this case) that preliminary injunctions are rarely granted
(and that is a good thing; the bar should be very high).

The real trial is still to come.  The opinions of this court
may influence the eventual decision, on the other hand,
when it comes to content providers and consumer access,
strange results are not unusual.

In the end, I would guess that with their next contract, Fox
will either get some additional up front revenue from Dish
(to make up for the "lost" commercial revenue), or they
will require Dish to not automate the skipping by Dish itself
(requiring the users to do something like press that 30-sec
skip button that some competitors have).  And Fox will
have the upper hand, since Dish customers want to be
able to view the next "Publicity Seeking American" reality
show in real time.

Gary