[mythtv-users] record at any time on channel <CHANNEL> is missing in master soon to be .27

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Wed Jul 24 16:26:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 10:38:33 -0400, you wrote:

>On 07/24/2013 10:27 AM, jrh wrote:
>> I am using mythfrontend, with the Mythcenter-wide v 1.7 theme.
>>
>> Will the 'this channel' be default to 'ON'? Or have an option to set it to default to ON? It is in the advanced settings for a recording which is normally hidden.
>
>You can create recording rule templates to apply whatever recording rule
>options you like.  So, you could make one for each of the "this channel"
>channels you use.
>
>The reason for the split to advanced settings is because we wanted to
>make it easy for most people to create the vast majority of needed
>recording rules--i.e. creating "anytime/any channel" rules.  Those
>"extra" settings people can use
>
>Note, also, there's seldom reason for a "this channel" rule.  There are
>typically much better options available.  For example, for the scenario
>you describe:
>
>> For example for a given show, i use it on for a show that is broadcast weekly, and I want to keep all of them. However, for that same show that is in 'syndication' on a different channel I want to restrict the number of episodes to a dozen or so as it is played constantly.
>
>a better approach would be to use the "new episodes" filter for the new
>episodes.  Note, also, that the fact that there are almost always better
>approaches available than "this channel" rules is the reason "this
>channel" rules were removed (and the "this channel" filter was
>added)--it is meant to indicate that "this channel" should not be a
>first-level criteria when deciding how to schedule shows.  Instead, you
>should look at other options, first, and leave "this channel" filter as
>a less-preferred tool in the arsenal.
>
>In general, use of "this channel" rules seems to have been mostly due to
>users failing to understand other (better) options available for scheduling.
>
>Mike

I think you may be fooling yourselves that better options exist than
"this channel" rules.  If you have good EPG like that apparently
available from Schedules Direct, then those other options appear to
exist.  But in New Zealand, our EPG is variable from just OK to bad -
there are no proper "new episode" flags (or HD flags), and the EPG
from one channel or provider to another is done differently.  So
without the option to say "this channel", just as one example, I would
wind up recording things from the Sky NZ channels that are repeats
from years ago of programs that have new series on the Freeview FTA
channels.  Now I can handle that, being a fairly sophisticated user of
MythTV - I would be able to use the new filter option.  But I will
almost certainly find it very annoying to have to use so many extra
keystrokes to do something that used to be easy, as I have to use
"this channel" on almost all series recording rules.

It sounds like I need to get a test setup of 0.27 running on one of my
systems and try it out to see just how it actually will or will not
work with our crappy EPG.