[mythtv-users] record at any time on channel <CHANNEL> is missing in master soon to be .27

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 24 16:08:17 UTC 2013

On 07/24/2013 11:24 AM, David Engel wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2013 at 10:38:33AM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 07/24/2013 10:27 AM, jrh wrote:
>>> I am using mythfrontend, with the Mythcenter-wide v 1.7 theme.
>>>
>>> Will the 'this channel' be default to 'ON'? Or have an option to set it to default to ON? It is in the advanced settings for a recording which is normally hidden.
>> You can create recording rule templates to apply whatever recording
>> rule options you like.
> I hadn't thought of that.  I should probably fix the initial recording
> rule dialog when the "this channel" filter is enabled in the selected
> template.  Should it not offer the non-this channel option or offer it
> and explicitly clear the filter?

I have to admit I haven't played with templates and the "this channel"
filter (I don't actually have any "this channel" rules, so I hadn't
thought to test it out), so I was making some assumptions here.

That also means I'm not sure I understand your question correctly and
can't test it out for a couple days at least, but if I understand
correctly, I think either approach should work, and I can think of
benefits on both sides.  You could argue that allowing clearing of the
"this channel" filter after applying a "this-channel" enabled template
would encourage use of the filter as a "first-class" scheduling option
by allowing users to set the filter on Default and then just clear it if
they want an any-channel rule.  Then again, for those few cases where
users need the "this channel" filter occasionally, you could argue that
not allowing clearing it would require duplicating templates with and
without the filter applied.

In the end, regardless of the approach we take, I think we still have
the same challenge as before--educating users about the other options
they have for scheduling.  Even though we've traded the 20-ounce claw
hammer of older versions for a 10-ounce finish hammer, everything still
looks like a (this-channel) nail when holding it--and users will just
assume they have to swing harder.  :)

So, in short, I trust your
(much-more-experienced-in-the-ways-of-the-scheduler) opinion more than
my own.  :)

>> So, you could make one for each of the "this
>> channel" channels you use.
> That shouldn't be necessary.  The filter is dynamic and automatically
> switches to whatever channel you last used to edit the rule.

Ah, nice.  That's even better (and, really, I should have assumed that's
how it would work).  One "this channel" template would work, then.

Mike