[mythtv-users] Upgrade plan

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jul 19 02:30:47 UTC 2013

On 07/18/2013 03:40 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> From: "Mike Perkins"
>
>> No! Don't copy the mysql binary data files. Unless your new>  configuration
>> matches your old one *exactly* you could run into problems. Even>  something
>> simple like a patch update difference can corrupt your database.
>> Do like the man said and use the backup and restore scripts. They are
>> designed for just this purpose.
> I do know better than that.  I would have just used mysqldump, though; I
> assume the script mentioned itself just calls that, with a set of switches
> that everyone likes (like --single-transaction)?

More than that.  The backup script calls mysqldump with /the right/
switches.  If you don't supply certain command-line arguments to
mysqldump, you'll create a backup that, when restored, corrupts the
mythconverg schema.  I highly recommend using the backup script.

Note, also, that the backup and restore scripts both do a lot of sanity
checks to make sure you're doing things properly, too.  They are
basically scripts that encompass the wisdom learned through seeing and
dealing with user backup/restore failures over the years.

Mike