[mythtv-users] OS X Server (10.7) and Mythtv MySQL install

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Wed Jul 17 12:49:03 UTC 2013

At 10:01 PM -0400 7/16/13, Support wrote:
>  > I wish to run Mythtv on my Mac Mini Server.
>>
>>  I am trying to setup/install MySQL database on OS X Server.
>>
>>  My understanding is that there is a MySQL database already
>>installed and running. (I can not find the "MySQL Manager
>>Application")
>>
>>  When I try and add the user: "mysql" it says "user already
>>exists". (this confirms for me that MySQL is installed.
>>
>>  But when I run the command: `mysqladmin shutdown' it just gives a:    >
>>  If I change the command to: "mysqladmin shutdown" it says "-bash:
>>mysqladmin command not found".
>>
>>  I have not installed MySQL yet; as I find myself looking for
>>instructions to follow on what to do with Apple's install of MySQL
>>and what to do different with the Mythtv recommended version of
>>MySQL install?
>>
>>  I couldn't find Apple's help information about installing MySQL:
>>Nor the `Help View' application, selected `Mac OS X Server' help,
>>did a search for `MySQL,' and returned no item entitled `Installing
>>MySQL.'
>>

>>  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>  I can follow command line instructions and figure out basic
>>command line issues su, sudo etc...
>>
>  > Looking for some direction.

I don't run OS X Server, but I understand that Apple stopped
distributing MySQL effective with the 10.7 release:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/08/02/apple_dumps_mysql_from_mac_os_x_server/

However, you can install MySQL quite easily.  Download the standalone
installer .dmg:

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/

Alternatively, you can use MacPorts:

http://www.macports.org/

Choose a version (mysql55-server, mysql51-server).  You could also
choose one of the MySQL forks (maridb or percona).  (Is Percona a
fork?  Or a work-alike?)

Perhaps you're aware that you can install Myth 0.25 via MacPorts, as
well (mythtv-core.25).  Really simplifies the process of installing
Myth on OS X as a backend, if I do say so myself.  Cookbook:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/MacPorts

Craig
(maintainer of the myth ports on MacPorts)