[mythtv-users] thoughts on a combined backend/NAS box?

GZ gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 05:55:29 UTC 2013

Hi all,
I've been thinking about upgrading my mythtv setup and at the same time,
I've also been looking at buying a RAID5 NAS box.  After looking at the
price tags on some of those enclosures, I'm thinking about just building a
combination RAID / mythbackend box.  I've read some of the guidance on the
wiki, indicating that RAID really isn't the best way to go for the mythtv
recording drive.  I'm thinking about the following drive setup:

1 SSD for the OS/database
1x 1 tb for active recording (my existing recordings drive.  Eventually, I
may just upgrade this to a 3tb drive that would act something like an
in-use hot spare
4x 3tb drives in RAID5 for archive storage (pictures / long-term video
archive)

Since all of my tuners are now external (HDHR prime & usb QAM), I'm
thinking about a microitx motherboard to keep this box smallish (corner of
my office).  There are a few H77 boards with 6 total SATA ports an H87
board with 6x 6gbps sata.  I figure that a 4-core ivy bridge or haswell
process has plenty of juice for this.

Couple of things that I'd like to do:
- It would be cool to move shows from the recording drive to the archive
upon lossless transcode.  Do I have to write custom transcode rules to do
this?

- I'd like to use ACPI wakeup to reduce power usage on this system.  This
means that I'm going to need some way to lock mythbackend when I want to
use the NAS functionality.  I suppose that I could run some mythfrontends
on the client, but that's pretty kludgy.  How complex is it to code up a
client that connects to mythbackend enough to bump the usage count and
block shutdown?  Alternatively, does anyone have a good way to trigger a
mythwelcome lock and unlock commands remotely over the network?

Any advice or thoughts are welcomed.
Thanks very much,
-Greg