[mythtv-users] High mythbackend CPU usage during DVB-T recording (Australia)

Kris Jensen kris.jensen.knj at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 21:05:31 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 4:12 PM, HP-mini <blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz> wrote:

> On Mon, 2013-07-15 at 14:20 +1000, Christian Hack wrote:
> >

> > On 15 July 2013 08:36, Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote:
> >
> >         Den 15/07/2013 00.28 skrev "Kenni Lund" <kenni at kelu.dk>:
> >
> >         >
> >         > Also, do you use get your EPG from EIT? If not, you should
> >         be able to save some CPU cycles by disabling EIT.
> >         >
> >         > FYI, the upcoming MythTV 0.27 contains multiple
> >         optimizations which should lower the CPU utilization when
> >         recording (see for example ticket #12250, #11252 or #11255)
> >         Sorry, that should have been #11250, not #12250.
> >
> >         Best regards
> >         Kenni
> >
> > Gave 0.26 a whirl last night and after fighting a number of issues
> > which were a pain (mysql timezone issue, mythweb broken,
> > mythtv-database upgrade failed, password issue in config.xml), I have
> > 0.26 running. Unfortunately that also seems to have mostly broken the
> > PiP which had previously worked fairly well in 0.25 with VDPAU :( .
> > Just when I needed it for Tour de France and the Ashes...
> >
> > Anyway, with 2 HD recordings that I had running CPU usage dropped from
> > what would normally be around 130%-140%-150% to around 90%. Still
> > fairly high in my opinion but definitely improved noticeably.
> >
> > EPG comes from a scraper. EIT is off on all tuners and also even on
> > the channels themselves and I've never used it here since it's (well
> > was) a bit rubbish.
>
> Old *buntus are likely to cause HDD partition alignment issues (on big
> disks) that could cost ~20% disk throughput.
>
> Is the high CPU use caused by one or more CPU cores stuck at 100%?
> Are you auto-running mythcommflagging/transcoding?

Hi, I don't want to derail this discussion. However I have encountered this
behavior. Its not a big problem on my system, as a restart of the
mythbackend service fixes it. would you be able to point me to a bug ticket
for further reading? I have not researched this at all, but the discussion
sparked my interest and I just thought I would ask.

Kris.