[mythtv-users] lirc with hauppauge nova-t 500: only receives numbers

Dan dansto.well+myth at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 20:59:58 UTC 2013

2013/7/13 Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz>:
> On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 12:08:53 +0100, you wrote:
>
>>Hi -
>>
>>I've installed mythtv on Xubuntu 13.04 (from the deb packages), and
>>MythTV works fine, hurrah. The tuner is a Hauppauge NOVA-T 500 dual
>>tuner with remote.
>>
>>But when I use the remote, lirc is only giving me numbers, none of the
>>other controls (ok, left, right, play, fwd, rw, pause...). I see this
>>in Mythfrontend (I can change channels while watching live TV but
>>can't do anything else) and also in "irw" (if I press the numbers on
>>the keypad the numbers come out in the Terminal window, but nothing
>>else).
>>
>>When the lirc package was installing, I selected the appropriate
>>model. So /etc/lirc/lircd.conf only contains some comment lines plus:
>>
>>  include "/usr/share/lirc/extras/more_remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge_novat500"
>>
>>Has anyone seen this? I've been searching the web and couldn't find
>>anyone having the same symptoms, but I imagine it's a symptom of a
>>misconfiguration somewhere. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
>>
>>Thanks
>>Dan
>
> I would guess that the same old non-working config for the TD-500 that
> is in 12.04 is still in 13.04 - it used to work before the move of the
> remote code into the kernel, but has not since then (11.04?).
>
> I have a Nova TD-500 set up on my mother's MythTV box and I have an
> HVR-500 (same remote) on my laptop.  Both are running on Mythbuntu
> 12.04.  I made a copy of my working config for someone else - it is
> still available here:
>
>   http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/Nova-TD-500-lirc.bz2
>
> And look here for good information on setting up and debugging lirc
> remotes:
>
>  http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/Architecture_and_Customization
>
> There are some LinHes specific bits on that page but it mostly applies
> to Ubuntu also and it gives good explanations of how it works.

Thanks for this info! I tried putting all of your files in the
appropriate places and rebooting, but it hasn't made the situation any
different. I may indeed have to go through more debugging, haven't
gone through that webpage yet.

 (To be specific on what I did: I had to create /etc/rc_keymaps, then
in there I put "hauppauge" and "rc_maps.cfg"; I used your "mplayer"
and "mythtv" in my ~/lirc, your "lircd.conf" in my /etc/lirc, your
"lircd.conf.devinput" in my /usr/share/lirc/remotes/devinput, your
"hardware.conf" in my /etc/lirc.)

Best
Dan
--