[mythtv-users] No MythTV backend after update of Linux Mint Debian Edition

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Sat Jul 13 17:26:57 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 3:46 AM, Enno Middelberg
<enno.middelberg at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello, and apologies for the delayed reply.
>
> Both /etc/mythtv/config.xml and /home/enno/.mythtv/config.xml have the
> same user/password combination, which is mythtv/mythtv.
>

> The data base still exists at /var/lib/mysql - it must be possible to
> tell the backend where it is!
>

> Cheers,
>
> Enno
>

> 2013/7/12 Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com>:
> > On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Mike Perkins <
> mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>
> > wrote:

> "mythtv";

> then
> >>>
> >> That's what the "grant all" operation does. It sets the password for the
> >> mythtv user to "mythtv".
> >>
> >> Now I recall that ubuntu, like debian, likes to think up some new
> password
> >> combination when you install mythtv. Perhaps that's what happened here.
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Mike Perkins

> > You're right, I didn't look up the password change syntax as I thought I
> > remembered it correctly. Whoops.
> >
> > The password is only set on install for the mythtv user, shouldn't be
> reset.
> > And even then, he manually reset the password on it (which IMO is the
> wrong
> > way to do it on ubuntu/debian). Perhaps he should check
> > /home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml and see if the right password exists
> there.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Thomas Mashos

That was not a typo. I'd assume that the user that runs the backend is the
'mythtv' user.  Please check the settings for the mythtv user, which is at
/home/mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml

If those credentials are the same. Are you able to login to mysql at the
command line using those credentials with something like

mysql -u mythtv -p mythconverg

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos