[mythtv-users] lirc with hauppauge nova-t 500: only receives numbers

Stephen Worthington stephen_agent at jsw.gen.nz
Sat Jul 13 16:12:30 UTC 2013

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 12:08:53 +0100, you wrote:

>Hi -
>
>I've installed mythtv on Xubuntu 13.04 (from the deb packages), and
>MythTV works fine, hurrah. The tuner is a Hauppauge NOVA-T 500 dual
>tuner with remote.
>
>But when I use the remote, lirc is only giving me numbers, none of the
>other controls (ok, left, right, play, fwd, rw, pause...). I see this
>in Mythfrontend (I can change channels while watching live TV but
>can't do anything else) and also in "irw" (if I press the numbers on
>the keypad the numbers come out in the Terminal window, but nothing
>else).
>
>When the lirc package was installing, I selected the appropriate
>model. So /etc/lirc/lircd.conf only contains some comment lines plus:
>
>  include "/usr/share/lirc/extras/more_remotes/hauppauge/lircd.conf.hauppauge_novat500"
>
>Has anyone seen this? I've been searching the web and couldn't find
>anyone having the same symptoms, but I imagine it's a symptom of a
>misconfiguration somewhere. I'd be grateful for any suggestions.
>
>Thanks
>Dan

I would guess that the same old non-working config for the TD-500 that
is in 12.04 is still in 13.04 - it used to work before the move of the
remote code into the kernel, but has not since then (11.04?).

I have a Nova TD-500 set up on my mother's MythTV box and I have an
HVR-500 (same remote) on my laptop.  Both are running on Mythbuntu
12.04.  I made a copy of my working config for someone else - it is
still available here:

  http://www.jsw.gen.nz/mythtv/Nova-TD-500-lirc.bz2

And look here for good information on setting up and debugging lirc
remotes:

 http://linhes.org/projects/linhes/wiki/Architecture_and_Customization

There are some LinHes specific bits on that page but it mostly applies
to Ubuntu also and it gives good explanations of how it works.