[mythtv-users] "never record" option not working

David Farmer remrafevad at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 08:59:07 UTC 2013

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 6:21 PM, David Farmer <remrafevad at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am currently running an up-to-date Arch x86_64 system with MythTV 0.26.
> It's been running pretty much flawlessly for a while now, last MythTV
> package update was on 01/04/13 (upgraded to mythtv 1:0.26.0-8). Typical
> usage is to have defined a set of recording rules of Movies and TV shows
> regularly. Sometimes this will catch things I don't want recorded so I go
> through the upcoming recordings and remove these manually.
>
> However I've noticed that very recently the option to "never record" a
> program no longer works for me, it certainly used to. The thing is, I'm
> fairly confident that the update to the Myth package wasn't responsible
> because I use it fairly often and reckon I have done since. I've only
> noticed it in the last few days. The single "don't record" option still
> works fine.
>
> Anyone else experiencing similar?
>

>If you are already aware of this, I apologize, but the result of a "never
record" aren't evident until a complete run of the scheduler completes.
Depending on a whole lot of things, that can take a while. In my case, it
started taking longer than it used to, leading me to conclude that "never
record" wasn't working anymore, leading me to click it repeatedly, leading
to multiple, duplicate database entries...

"Never record" is also dependent on the EPG data matching or not, and
on what settings you are using for matching in your recording rule if
the EPG does not have proper identification of each episode. Some of
the EPG here in New Zealand has no proper episode identification but
has subtitles with episode names, so setting the recording rule to
match on subtitles first works. But then when the repeats come
around, the EPG may not have subtitles and that rule would then
re-record them even if you have done a "Never record". Or the
matching may have been done on the description only, and then on the
repeats the EPG data for the description has changed.

If you are trying to use "Never record" on something that is repeated
multiple times in the current EPG data, try using the O key on the
keyboard to bring up a list of all things matching that recording
rule, and go down the list looking at the data and how it changes. Use
the I key twice on each program to look at the full data for the
program. You may be able to spot what is causing your problems and
adjust your rule accordingly.

The problem I was experiencing is more related to the feature simply not
working on the selected upcoming recording. For example, I have a movie
rule set to record anything with Clint Eastwood. If I navigate to the
upcoming recordings and cursor down to a Clint Eastwood movie that is ready
to record and choose "never record", the movie stays ready to record.

But! There has been an update to mythtv in the Arch repo, which I have now
implemented. Low and behold, I seem to be able to use "never record" again
perfectly. I can't be sure if this is what fixed the problem, but for now
I'll just say thanks for your responses.