[mythtv-users] Original Air Date missing in Schedules Direct

Robert Eden rmeden at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 10 12:00:14 UTC 2013

On 7/9/2013 10:58 AM, Joseph Fry wrote:
> Thanks Robert... I now feel somewhat validated, though my choice to add a pre-primetime fetch were based purely on assumption rather than any sort
> of evidence.
>
> As a representative of SD... what would you feel is the optimal path then.  A grab-all or the standard grab on the nightly SD recommended
> schedule... plus a refresh-today just before primetime?
>
> Also I have often wondered why mythfilldatabase needs to do so much work to update a schedule when there are few changes.  I was curious if SD
> maintains a "last updated date/time" field within the data it stores.  It would be cool if mythfilldatabase could request only updates since the
> last run eg "mythfilldatabase --updates-since <date-time-of-last-run>.  I'm not sure if this would increase or decrease the load on the SD servers
> (though it would certainly save bandwidth).

I would do what works for you and the channels you watch.  A daily grab-all works fine for the vast majority of people and avoids the stale-data
problem folks get with a 1,2,3,7,14 type cycle.  You seem to have a special case so a daily grab right before prime-time isn't unreasonable.

RobertK's new JSON service under development should be able to support much more frequent updates efficiently.  It includes a "last updated" field as
you suggest.  Keep an eye out for that alternative grabber.

No idea how the MythTV side works, but processing the data and recomputing a recording schedule isn't a simple task.

Robert