[mythtv-users] Mythtv 0.26 is Broken in Ubuntu 13.04 amd64 Desktop!!!

Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming) singapore.mr.teo.en.ming at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 05:41:26 UTC 2013

Hi,

I have recently purchased Intel Core i5-4430 3.0 GHz processor, Asrock
B85M Pro4 LGA1150 motherboard, 8GB Kingston DDR3-1600 memory and Cooler
Master Elite 311 ATX casing on 4th July 2013 for SGD$501.

Then I installed the latest Ubuntu 13.04 amd64 desktop. I have also
installed Mythtv 0.26 using the following command:

sudo apt-get install mythtv

teo-en-ming at intel-core-i5-4430-desktop:~$ mythbackend --version
MythTV Version : v0.26.0-37-g340b5d4
MythTV Branch : fixes/0.26
Network Protocol : 75
Library API : 0.26.20120822-1
QT Version : 4.8.3
Options compiled in:
  linux profile use_hidesyms using_alsa using_oss using_pulse
using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_bindings_php using_crystalhd using_dvb
using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_ceton using_hdpvr
using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libcec using_libcrypto
using_libdns_sd using_libxml2 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video
using_qtwebkit using_qtscript using_qtdbus using_v4l2 using_x11
using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
using_bindings_php using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vaapi
using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_live using_mheg using_libass
using_libxml2

When I tried to scan for TV channels, mythtv-setup.real reports:

Failed to find any new channels!

Note that I am using mythtv-setup.real to configure my Hauppage WinTV
PVR USB2 TV tuner, not mythtv-setup. If I use mythtv-setup, a black
blank MythTV Setup Terminal screen will pop-up and nothing happens after
that. I have configured everything correctly in mythtv-setup.real.

Hence I conclude that MythTV 0.26 and TV channel scanning are BROKEN in
Ubuntu 13.04. Previously when I use Ubuntu 11.10, MythTV was working
wonderfully.

To overcome this problem in Ubuntu 13.04, I have installed Oracle VM
VirtualBox. Then I installed Ubuntu 11.10 amd64 as a VirtualBox virtual
machine. Then I installed MythTV in Ubuntu 11.10 amd64 virtual machine.
Then I use USB Passthrough to passthrough my Hauppage Win TV PVR USB2 to
my Ubuntu 11.10 virtual machine to enable me to watch TV in a virtual
machine!!!

I am wondering if developers could fix the MythTV TV channel scanning
issue in Ubuntu 13.04. Please also let me know if there are any
workarounds or solutions to this MythTV 0.26 problem in Ubuntu 13.04.

Thank you very much.

--
Yours sincerely,

Singapore Citizen Mr. Teo En Ming (Zhang Enming)