[mythtv-users] From cable to fiber (TDS / Mediaroom)

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Mon Jul 8 21:44:40 UTC 2013

> > I think that the only way you are going to make this work, apart from the
> > 'analog hole and an HD-PVR, is to ask when they intend to support
> Cablecard.
>
> While the FCC is struggling as to how to regulate IPTV, I do not think
> that they will require support of CableCards.  It is more likely that
> MSOs will support DLNA streaming.
>
> In any case, my guess is that all of the proposed alternatives will come
> with various forms of DRM (in the DLNA standards for protected streaming
> DTCP-IP is required and WMDRM-ND is optional), which MythTV cannot
> participate in.

Which is damn frustrating!

When they first started talking about IPTV, I always envisioned that the
whole purpose was to make television more accessible, to make more people
watch in more places.  Instead, they limit use to expensive STB's and
actually limit the amount of TV people watch.

For example, the previous owner of my house ran cable lines to every
bedroom, the kitchen, breakfast nook, garage, etc; 12 locations in all.
 Odds are they had 8-10 TV's, and used them all with analog cable...
constant watching helped the TV networks.  That same family, in today's $7
per STB/mo world, would likely have had 2 or 3 TV's tops.

I can't believe that the TV networks support this crap... it's got to be
killing their ratings.  All those guys working in their garage NOT watching
racing, all those housewives in the kitchen NOT watching their soaps, all
those kids in their bedrooms NOT watching cartoons, all those families
sitting down for breakfast NOT watching the morning news... all because
they don't want to pay an extra $30 a month in STB fees.