[mythtv-users] Original Air Date missing in Schedules Direct

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jul 8 20:18:05 UTC 2013

On 07/08/2013 03:47 PM, Joseph Fry wrote:
> Is it better to let SD manage my daily grab-all task to run off
> peak, and just refresh "today" everyday at 5pm, or force the grab-all to
> occur every day at 5pm.

Oh, and in case it wasn't clear, it's best to have only one run of
mythfilldatabase per day, and to use --dd-grab-all, whether you run it
using the suggested next-run time or using a specific time period.
Ideally you'd use the suggested next-run time (and if you do, you'll
probably get results as good as using a run at 5pm--or even better
results because you may get your update in time to fix the afternoon
listings, too).

>    The daily refresh is small compared to a full 14
> day download, so I would think that they would prefer the large download
> occurs off peak.

The problem isn't the download size (and, really, one day isn't /that/
much smaller than 14 due to the number of reruns, etc. within the data),
but with the server resources (CPU time and memory and ...) to create
your "personalized" data (for your specific lineup and selected
channels) for the download.  So, in fact, doing 2 "single-day" runs (the
default configuration for mythfilldatabase, when it downloads tomorrow
and +13 as 2 separate downloads) is /much/ worse than doing a single
14-day run (using --dd-grab-all to just download all the data
available).  That's why this is one of the few cases where something
that's better for you (using --dd-grab-all to get all available data and
update every day's listings to the most-current data possible) is
actually better for TMS (because of significantly reduced server load).

Mike