[mythtv-users] syslog

Andréas Kühne andreas at kuhne.se
Mon Jul 8 17:50:39 UTC 2013

2013/7/8 Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>

>>> in the file *before* the global directives, although in this case it
>>> probably works fine.
>>>
>>> Look at the very last directive - that includes any files under a
>>> subdirectory. You should put your own directives in a file in that
>>> directory. The only reason to do otherwise is if you are editing lines
>>> /out/ of the main config file.
>>>
>>> Lastly, the "*.*" directive above /should/ mean that you don't need to
>>> specify any of the "local?.*" directives, as this includes all of them.
>>>

>> Thanks for the answer. I agree with you, it's probably not a good idea to
>> do what I have done. I was just following the rsyslog examples for
>> forwarding all logs to a remote server. Unfortunately it still doesn't
>> seem
>> to work. I have tried to add my configuration in different places, even
>> changing the default syslog configuration for mythtv to forward all
>> messages to the remote server (without the configuration in the default
>> field).
>>
>>  I'm sorry to suggest this, but have you overlooked the obvious? It may
> be that you are /sending/ logs out of your MBE but the log server isn't
> permitted to receive them... You have to uncomment the TCP/UDP lines at the
> top of the global file IIRC. There's also firewalls to consider. Are you
> passing port 514?
>

> --
>
> Mike Perkins

Hi again Mike,

It's good to be thorough! I don't mind the suggestion, because it is
probably something I have overlooked. I know that the other server is
receiving messages, because I do get some messages to that server, however
not all messages. When I have the *.* @10.0.27.44 row in place, I get
standard syslog messages, but nothing from mythlogserver. If I replace the
"default" settings for mythtv logging with:

if $syslogfacility-text == 'local7' and $programname startswith 'myth' then
@10.0.27.44
& ~

I get some messages from mythlogserver itself, but not any messages from
mythbackend. I have also tried:
if $syslogfacillity-text == 'local7' and $msg startswith ' myth' then @
10.0.27.44
& ~

Nothing of this works, I just don't get anything on the remote server...

Regards,

Andréas