[mythtv-users] syslog

Andréas Kühne andreas at kuhne.se
Mon Jul 8 16:51:05 UTC 2013

2013/7/8 Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>

> On 08/07/13 13:46, Andréas Kühne wrote:
>
>> 2013/7/8 Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
>>
>>  On 07/04/2013 03:53 PM, Andréas Kühne wrote:
>>>
>>>  I have a problem with my mythtv server crashing every now and then. As a

>>> what
>>> you need to change.
>>>

>> This is the log on the mythtv server. I have added separate lines for
>> local* because I got more logging on the remote server that way. Other
>> than
>> this file I also have the same configuration on the server as the one on
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/**Simple_rsyslog_Configuration<http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Simple_rsyslog_Configuration>.
>> The logs in
>> /var/log/mythtv/ get written to with that configuration.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Andréas
>>
>> #  /etc/rsyslog.conf Configuration file for rsyslog.
>> #
>> # For more information see
>> # /usr/share/doc/rsyslog-doc/**html/rsyslog_conf.html
>> #
>> #  Default logging rules can be found in /etc/rsyslog.d/50-default.conf
>>
>> local0.* @10.0.27.44
>> local1.* @10.0.27.44
>> local2.* @10.0.27.44
>> local3.* @10.0.27.44
>> local4.* @10.0.27.44
>> local5.* @10.0.27.44
>> local6.* @10.0.27.44
>> local7.* @10.0.27.44
>>
>> *.* @10.0.27.44
>> #################
>> #### MODULES ####
>> #################
>>
>> $ModLoad imuxsock # provides support for local system logging
>> $ModLoad imklog   # provides kernel logging support (previously done by
>> rklogd)
>> #$ModLoad immark  # provides --MARK-- message capability
>>
>> # provides UDP syslog reception
>> #$ModLoad imudp
>> #$UDPServerRun 514
>>
>> # provides TCP syslog reception
>> #$ModLoad imtcp
>> #$InputTCPServerRun 514
>>

>> ###########################
>> #### GLOBAL DIRECTIVES ####
>> ###########################
>>
>> #
>> # Use traditional timestamp format.
>> # To enable high precision timestamps, comment out the following line.
>> #
>> $ActionFileDefaultTemplate RSYSLOG_TraditionalFileFormat
>>
>> # Filter duplicated messages
>> $RepeatedMsgReduction on
>>
>> #
>> # Set the default permissions for all log files.
>> #
>> $FileOwner syslog
>> $FileGroup adm
>> $FileCreateMode 0640
>> $DirCreateMode 0755
>> $Umask 0022
>> $PrivDropToUser syslog
>> $PrivDropToGroup syslog
>>
>> #
>> # Where to place spool files
>> #
> [...]

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the answer. I agree with you, it's probably not a good idea to
do what I have done. I was just following the rsyslog examples for
forwarding all logs to a remote server. Unfortunately it still doesn't seem
to work. I have tried to add my configuration in different places, even
changing the default syslog configuration for mythtv to forward all
messages to the remote server (without the configuration in the default
field).

I'll have to go through the setup again and try again.

// Andréas