[mythtv-users] Problem with HDMI audio passthrough after change of graphics card

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 10:42:03 UTC 2013

On 5 July 2013 19:01, PAUL ANDREWS <pm.andrews at btopenworld.com> wrote:

> For many years I was using a motherboard with an integrated Nvidia 9400
> graphics chip and HDMI port for Mythtv. I was always able to get AC3 and
> DTS passthrough via HDMI to my Toshiba television, which then in turn
> passed this signal through to my amplifier using a TOSLINK cable.
>
> Unfortunately that motherboard died recently and I replaced it with a
> newer motherboard and Intel i5 processor, which also has an HDMI output.
> Again, I was able to get  AC3 and DTS passthrough working fine.
>
> But due to some issues with the graphics performance using the intel
> driver, I decided to fit a discrete Nvidia GT610 graphics card. All other
> components in the setup have remained the same. Thus far I've only be able
> to get Stereo LPCM audio to work with this card :-(
>
> I suspect this issue relates to the 'autodetected' capabilities in mythtv
> which look like this:
> "HDMI connected to TOSHIBA TV"
> "Device supports up to 2.0 LPCM"
>
> If I tick the AC3 and DTS boxes, no audio is output when playing media
> containing an AC3 or DTS soundtrack. If I leave them unticked, then I get
> sound, but it is downconverted to 2.0 LPCM by mythtv. I've tried all
> combinations of the 'Advanced Audio Options' in mythtv with no success.

Because that's what your TV is reporting of supporting via the ELD link...
If you start mythfrontend with -v audio --loglevel=debug
go into the audio settings and report here the output,

if the TV states that it doesn't support it, then it doesn't...

mythtv ultimately doesn't care what the TV reports, it's informative only,
it doesn't limit any functionalities ... if you override the settings it
will try to use it.

JY