[mythtv-users] Using xmltv grabber in the uk?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Jul 4 08:49:52 UTC 2013

On 04/07/13 08:43, Tim Draper wrote:
> On 3 July 2013 17:08, Mike Perkins <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
>>   Okay, get out tv_scan_uk_rt and run the configure
>> option to find out what the new channel names are.
>>
>> Can't do it. I either get an option to "configure dynamically" or a list of
>> 337 channels from *everywhere* that I have to guess which ones are right and
>> reply yes or no to.
>>

> I dont run debian (openSUSE here for the BE), and i've had to get
> xmltv from source to even obtain tv_grab_uk_rt script. the
> 'xmltv-grabbers' package doesn't include uk_rt annoyingly.
> What i'm getting at is: are you running the latest xmltv-grabbers with
> an updated uk_rt script?
>
> as you can see at http://wiki.xmltv.org/index.php/Main_Page, the
> latest xmltv version has a number of uk_rt script changes.

At the moment I'm just using all-Debian stock packages for everything. In theory
that means it should all work together, right?

I did a clean install of the latest stable (Wheezy) and installed mysql, mythtv
and xmltv from the multimedia repo. Then I restored from my database backup and
ran mythtv-setup to let it upgrade the schema. Everything worked.

(The only thing I forgot was to create the mythtv user /before/ installing myth.
This means I got a random number which didn't match the owner of any of the
recording files. 'chown -R mythtv.video *' fixed that.)

But... when I got into mythtv-setup none of the tuner cards is there. The
sources are all there but the transport table is empty. To fill the transport
table I have to rescan, which is a pain because it will trample over the channel
table as well. As some channels have changed, I don't mind that so much.

But, once I have rescanned, I need to know the xmltvids to use to ensure the
schedules update properly. The version of tv_grab_uk_rt in stable apparently has
new logic which won't allow me to find these out easily.

(Oh. And Terra is /terrible/ as a default theme. I had difficulty finding out
which field was currently selected. To change the theme, I have to run the front
end, and on a headless backend box that isn't straightforward.)

--

Mike Perkins