[mythtv-users] git pull not working

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jul 3 11:57:44 UTC 2013

On 07/02/2013 06:07 PM, Rick wrote:
> I've got 4 computers running mythtv.  git pull and git clone have
> stopped working on 2 of them.  They just sit there doing nothing.
> Other git commands work.  Anyone else seeing this or have any kind of
> cure? The other 2 computers work fine and have identical installations.

Easiest solution is to tar up one of the working repos and then use it
to replace the broken ones.  There are lots of things you can do when
your git repo gets broken, but often fixing it is more trouble than it's
worth--since every repo is an equivalent copy of every other (barring
local changes).  So, IMHO, rather than spending time trying to fix it,
it makes more sense to export any changes you may have in it and then
just use one that works.

And, for that matter, you could easily just have a bare git repo that
pulls from MythTV's github on one system on your network, then have all
4 of your "working" repos pull from that one--at which point you get
full local-network speed in the event you want to start over with a git
clone (so you don' t have to do a tar/untar type approach).  This also
has the benefit that each of your 4 computers would pull the exact same
revision of MythTV, so you'd never have any problems with in-progress
changes or incompatible changes across different hosts.

That said, if you're really bent on fixing the extra copies of the repo,
I'm sure someone out there can suggest some things to do.

Mike