[mythtv-users] Full screen

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Jul 2 19:30:33 UTC 2013

On 07/02/2013 11:52 AM, jedi wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2013 at 10:41:39PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 06/30/2013 05:01 PM, John Pilkington wrote:
>>> I mostly run the frontend in a window on my monitor, DISPLAY=:0.0
>>>
>>> This puts it onto the TV.  Fedora, 0.26-fixes, but it may still be
>>> usable.
>>>
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> # Run MythTV front end on display 1
>>> # For Panasonic TX-L32E5B HDMI1 via DVI-I adapter
>>> # This is for use if Overscan is OFF
>>> #
>>> # It seems that that requires _both_
>>> #  that the TV overscan is OFF
>>> #  and that the TV aspect ratio is set to [16:9]
>>> #  If aspect ratio is AUTO it seems that Overscan is ON
>>> #
>>> #
>>> export DISPLAY=:0.1
>>> mythfrontend --geometry 1920x1080+0+0
>> There's absolutely no reason to always run mythfrontend with a
>> geometry override.  Instead, just set mythfrontend's settings to
>> specify a size of 1920x1080 (or 0x0 if running on a 1920x1080
>> monitor/if you want full screen) with an X&  Y offset of 0.
>>
>> In other words, you should set the settings to tell MythTV what you
>> want rather than use a settings override on every start of MythTV.
>      Using the bog standard X command line options is a perfectly sensible approach.

The point was that using it *every* time (see the "always" in there?) is
wrong because we allow you to specify it once, instead.  Using -geometry
is an override for the settings already specified in MythTV, and we
happen to use the "bog standard X" /format/ for specifying that
override.  So, setting the settings to a wrong value just so you can
override them with what you actually want makes no sense.

For example, when I start up my X terminals, I don't use, "xterm
-geometry 40x24" every time I start a new terminal.  Instead, I set the
default size for xterm to be the one I want, and then just run "xterm".
Note how much simpler it is that way.

And, I don't do:

firefox -geometry 958x1175
and
thunderbird -geometry 1115x1100
and ...

because doing so is /not/ perfectly sensible if I always want them to be
that size.  Instead, I set the settings for the application to make the
window the size I want so that I don't have to specify the size /every/
time.  Specifying it every single time is just redundant--and
cumbersome, because if you script it and forget it, you may later get a
new display and wonder "Why won't MythTV use the sizes I specify in
Appearance settings?" and then report a bug saying MythTV is broken when
it's doing exactly what you're telling it to do (and waste our time and
your own).

Since John is using -geometry to override the letterboxed settings he
normally wants when he decides to display mythfrontend on a different
display, it makes sense in his case.

Mike